Auschwitz at 70: and a Captive Audience
Today in CT, NY, MA, NJ everything is closed. By law, no cars may move. The “storm of the century” was just a moderate snow storm in my area.
BUT: think about this:
CNN had live coverage of the ceremony marking the 70th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz by the Red Army. On a Tuesday late morning, a weekday, normally few would be home watching CNN.
The preparation and hype for this storm was unprecedented. The closing of entire states, the NYC subway (why the subway would close is itself a question. It could have been a terrific asset in a snowbound city!), airports…. and no big storm showed up. At least not in NYC, nor my part of CT.
I can almost hear the Alex Jonesies “recognizing” the “Zionist” scheme for locking down 25 million people and creating a massive audience for the Auschwitz event. The Holocaust deniers will go nuts! Or more aptly, nuttier!
BUT nevertheless it does seem as if this were engineered to create an abnormally large audience for the 70th Anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz on CNN!
That the STORM forecast caused massive numbers of people to be in their homes AND the storm itself did NOT interrupt power and cable conspired to create this audience.
I SEE THE HAND OF THE G-D OF ABRAHAM ISAAC AND JACOB at work.
In that light I looked at today’s Aliyah of the Torah Parsha.
9. [Because] the enemy said, I will pursue, I will overtake, I will share the booty; my desire will be filled from them; I will draw my sword, my hand will impoverish them. ט. אָמַר אוֹיֵב אֶרְדֹּף אַשִּׂיג אֲחַלֵּק שָׁלָל תִּמְלָאֵמוֹ נַפְשִׁי אָרִיק חַרְבִּי תּוֹרִישֵׁמוֹ יָדִי:
10. You blew with Your wind, the sea covered them; they sank like lead in the powerful waters. י. נָשַׁפְתָּ בְרוּחֲךָ כִּסָּמוֹ יָם צָלֲלוּ כַּעוֹפֶרֶת בְּמַיִם אַדִּירִים:
11. Who is like You among the powerful, O Lord? Who is like You, powerful in the holy place? Too awesome for praises, performing wonders! יא. מִי כָמֹכָה בָּאֵלִם יְהֹוָה מִי כָּמֹכָה נֶאְדָּר בַּקֹּדֶשׁ נוֹרָא תְהִלֹּת עֹשֵׂה פֶלֶא:
12. You inclined Your right hand; the earth swallowed them up. יב. נָטִיתָ יְמִינְךָ תִּבְלָעֵמוֹ אָרֶץ:
13. With Your loving kindness You led the people You redeemed; You led [them] with Your might to Your holy abode. יג. נָחִיתָ בְחַסְדְּךָ עַם זוּ גּאָלְתָּ נֵהַלְתָּ בְעָזְּךָ אֶל נְוֵה קָדְשֶׁךָ:
14. People heard, they trembled; a shudder seized the inhabitants of Philistia. יד. שָׁמְעוּ עַמִּים יִרְגָּזוּן חִיל אָחַז ישְׁבֵי פְּלָשֶׁת:
15. Then the chieftains of Edom were startled; [as for] the powerful men of Moab, trembling seized them; all the inhabitants of Canaan melted. טו. אָז נִבְהֲלוּ אַלּוּפֵי אֱדוֹם אֵילֵי מוֹאָב יֹאחֲזֵמוֹ רָעַד נָמֹגוּ כֹּל ישְׁבֵי כְנָעַן:
16. May dread and fright fall upon them; with the arm of Your greatness may they become as still as a stone, until Your people cross over, O Lord, until this nation that You have acquired crosses over. טז. תִּפֹּל עֲלֵיהֶם אֵימָתָה וָפַחַד בִּגְדֹל זְרוֹעֲךָ יִדְּמוּ כָּאָבֶן עַד יַעֲבֹר עַמְּךָ יְהֹוָה עַד יַעֲבֹר עַם זוּ קָנִיתָ:
17. You shall bring them and plant them on the mount of Your heritage, directed toward Your habitation, which You made, O Lord; the sanctuary, O Lord, [which] Your hands founded.
Moses’ Song of the Sea the deliverance of Israel is the aliya of the day! As the Holocaust deniers understand very well, the State of Israel was able to slip through a brief and narrow window. In the wake of WW2, in the newsreels of the Death Camps liberated by the allies lay the impetus for creating and recognizing the Jewish State. From near annihilation in Europe to the Land referred to as “Philistia”, the miracle of the return of the Jews to their own nation was experienced by one generation!
The aliya for the day is breathtaking.
One might complain that this is the Fourth aliyah and today, Tuesday is the Third Aliyah. But in Poland where it was happening it was after dark, and two more hours later in Israel. Thus it is the Fourth Aliyah.